Friday, October 10, 2008

Fish Fumbles

Eliana had a goldfish that died a couple weeks ago. It was so sad for her that I got the kids some more goldfish about a week ago. They were so excited Tavian was practically screaming "Fishies! Fishies!" and Eliana was very particular about which fishes she got and she had to carry it herself to the front of the store and paid for it with her own coins. We came home and I let them put rocks and seashells in the tank. We named them and then Eliana took pictures of the fishies. Here's one (cropped of course).Our one goldfish lived for a year in a one gallon tank so I figured 4 goldfish would be fine in a 10 gallon tank. All but one died so I bought 3 more and they all died leaving just the one again. Some lady at Petco told me that you need 10 gallons of water per goldfish. It must be true because the same thing happened a year ago when I bought the 10 gallon tank. I was so bugged when the goldfish kept dying that I put the one goldfish in a one gallon tank and it lived there for a year. I thought I had a bully fish, but apparently not because several goldfish have died this time too and just one is alive. In other words, even though you can buy the fish for 12 cents each you have to spend a small fortune on the tank and equipment to go with it if you want more than one goldfish. Crazy huh? Thanks for letting me share.

1 comment:

Heather said...

We bought 8 goldfish for my son's 1st birthday. Only one survived, and it lived for 2 stinkin years. Who'd have thought that a 38 cent pet would last so long and take so much work. Now he has a beatle in a pickle jar. He caught it the other day. That's it for our pets.

Good luck with those fish.

Schramm