Thursday, April 16, 2009

Mom Stories

I think in some ways I underestimated how much more work a third child would be. Bless you mothers who have more for having that fourth one. haha I mean I had thought about the fact that there would always be a kid walking even when we had the double stroller and that there would be no room between carseats for books or toys on long trips. I knew naps would be trickier and schedules more complicated. But I never anticipated situations like this...I am nursing my baby to sleep while one child keeps trying to climb on my lap and no matter what I say I can't convince him to stop, meanwhile in the kitchen the other is helping herself to the brownies I baked making them look like a small animal attacked them. Or how about this one? The kids have been outside playing with the hose so you tell them we're going inside to take a bath and clean off the mud. One child strips and gets in the tub calling impatiently for you to turn the water on which you can't do because the other made so much noise coming in he woke up the baby who is screaming hysterically while you chase him trying to get him away from the furniture that he has already muddied up. Or while you bathe one child the other decides to test fire their squirt gun (which she's not supposed to be playing with) on the couch, the carpet and the sleeping baby who wakes up cold and wet. Or how about this... Eliana wakes up in the middle of the night with a nightmare and as you calm her Emily wakes up from the noise and on a side note you notice that Tavian has once again rolled out of his bed and onto the floor where you have to remember to not step on him until you can move him because even though moving him right now might be easier he'll probably wake up with all the noise and then you'll have three crying kids and you are oh so aware that you have more kids now than you have hands. Does it seem like there's someone bored, crying, or getting into something twice as much with three than with two? How does a mother of ten do it without an octupus assistant? hahaha Please tell me somebody else has stories like this too.
P.S. These are not all from one day, but they are all about my kids.

6 comments:

Kat M said...

ROFL....I was so laughing reading your post!!! BEEN there!! Especially the child trying to climb on me while nursing and the other child is being trouble. I promise...it gets easier, but harder...does that make sense?

Katya (#3) ended up being VERY patient because I had to tend the first two and get them situated and out of touble before nursing...I can't even remember how many times I made her stop nursing while she was in the middle of eating to tend the other two. You aren't alone!!!

AudyCamp said...

bless you dear becky...I SO remember those times. I do have to say that it DOES get easier. As the older 2 get older they become much more helpful. I'm sure though when my 4th comes soon, I'll be dealing with that all over again-my 3 year old will need something or have some accident as I'm nursing. Ahhhh...
(You're blog header is so cute of your kiddos)

Anonymous said...

Wow! You are a busy lady! I am 100% sure that it gets easier. I didn't have my three so close together as yours but in my experience it gets "dicey" for the first couple months and then life seems to calm down. It doesn't actually "calm" down though, you just get used to the craziness, and Emily adapts and Eliana and Tavian grow into the "perfect" children, and Julio finds buried treasure in your backyard and immediately hires a cook, a maid, and a nanny. :) In the meanwhile, try a cool mist humidifier in the babies room to create "white noise" while she naps (it helps to drown out the older kids noisiness). Good luck and know that we are all rooting for you and love you tons.

Heather said...

Oh, I totally understand. My oldest was still 3 when we brought home our third baby. I'll let you know when it gets easier. My baby is only 10 months. Oldest is still 4. Nap time is still dicey. thank goodness the youngest is still an angel.

Anonymous said...

---I had to laugh at your post. I SOOO know your pain!!!! Try having three little monsters who try playing with steak knife, climbing on the counters to get down peanut butter to snack on with their fingers alone, jumping from on top of your piano to the couch or the floor, finding new ways to try to climb into the pool area and actually having one be successful (Hunter), ect.
--I've been there and still am. I'm finding that our fourth one isnt even here yet and I'm already asking myself why the Lord has such a bad sense of humor towards us.
--By the way, we need to hang out. My kids are dying to see yours.

Justin Millar said...

Hey Becky, Talk about blast from the past. I am so glad that you wrote a comment. I have been wondering where you went. How is life? How are things? How are you? Tell me all about it